Thursday, June 24, 2010

I'm a little saddened


Wait, who am I kidding? I'm pissed.
We have a pool at our apartment complex. I was just out with my dog on the patio. In the pool is a boy, maybe 6 or 7 years old. His mom is sitting in a chair on the side.
The little boy is jumping around and doing his tricks. He keeps saying "Mommy! Look at this!" Do you think she looks? Nope! What is keeping her so busy that she can't watch her son? Her cell phone! She is just texting away. After four times of him calling for her, he puts his head down and swims away. My heart was aching for him. I really wanted to say something. But, I thought I'd see how this plays out.
Then he asks his mom if his eyes are red. This little boy is thinking of anything he can to get her attention. Her response? She finishes a text and says, "You're stomach hurts? Let's go." What? Did you even listen to him? He keeps swimming and then starts crying. I bet he cried for a few minutes. She did say a thing to him! He is just sitting on the steps crying and then goes in front of her and cries. She still does not do anything. Doesn't even acknowledge he is there.
He then goes on to tell her about a time when he was swimming with another little boy that lives here. Again, she ignores him. She gets up from her chair and says, "Let's go." He asks her why and all she says is, "Your eye!". I had to come back inside because had she walked by me, I'm sure I would have gone off on her. I really think I would have. I'm sitting here at the table and I see her walk by. She is not even walking with him. He is a few feet behind her.
What is wrong with this lady? Her son is crying because his eyes hurt and she can't even walk with him?
But, what do I expect? This is the same mom who lets him and his 3 yr old brother run around the complex. There are 12 buildings here and each building has 6 apts. So, there is a ton of people who live here. How can she just let her kids run around? Does she not worry that someone may grab them or hurt them? I've seen the 3yr playing by the pond we have at the entrance. I've also witnessed this mom going from different apartments looking for her kids only to have my neighbor tell her she sent them home.

I just don't know how she can treat her kids like that. I'm not a perfect Mom, but I know how to spend time with my son. I treasure all of our moments together. Plus, I love how he tells me stories. I could never ignore him like that. Before she knows it, that little boy will not want to talk to her at all. It really is just sad. I think I'm going to make it a point to talk to that little boy when I see him running around. I seriously want to cry right now......

5 comments:

Angie B said...

I hate to hear about things like that. I'm not perfect either. I just often think that the days going to come too soon that they want to be with their friends more and more and their family less and less as teenagers. Cherish them while you can.

Babes Mami said...

That poor little boy! She needs to be gone off on! I hate when I see people who obviously treat their children as an inconvience and don't want anything to do with them. It's awful. Children don't choose to come into the world, we bring them to it.

Michelle said...

then I think about people who would kill to have a baby and have been trying for years. It is just too sad.

Gigi said...

Well I'd say give the lady the benefit of the doubt if it was the first time you had seen that kind of behavior but it sounds like she is a chronic absentee mom! Poor little boy!

Everyday Kathy said...

I'm a little sad now... poor little kids!!

Post a Comment