Tuesday, June 15, 2010

works for me wednesday at we are that family

We have been battling the potty training lately. When I ask him if he has to go, his response is, "No thanks, I'm busy". While it's kind of funny, it's a little frustrating.
Today, I decided to bribe him. I know it's probably not the best way to get him to go. But it worked tonight.

Source:Discovery Toys
On the way home from daycare, he kept telling me that he wanted to play his game. I told him that if he went potty, we could play his game.
I bought a learning game from Discovery Toys . It's called, Busy Farm . It teaches skills like colors, reading, and all kinds of stuff. We played it for the first time a couple of days ago. He loved it. It says ages 3+ but Jack was able to get many of the concepts. A mom in our playgroup is a consulant for the company so I've been to many parties and have quite a collection of their toys.
When we got home, he asked to play. Again, I reminded that if he went potty, we could play. So, we went into the bathroom. After 30 seconds, he wanted to get up. I reminded him again. I swear like a second later, he went! This is the 3rd time in I bet 3 months that he's used the potty. He was pretty excited and I made sure to give him lots of hugs, kisses, and high fives.

While we had a good potty time today. I also had a parenting fail. After he was done he pulled up his pants with no diaper. I thought we were cool because he had just pottied and I'd have him do it again in an hour. I was on the phone with a friend and I hear, "Mom!! Help! I got poop on me!" What!? I go to him and he had pooed on the floor! A total Mommy fail on my part.

What are your opinions of bribery for potty training? I'm really interested on everyone's thoughts.


5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ah....bribery is the best. I'm using M and M's on my son. He can have one each time he actually pees on the potty (he's 2 1/2). He does it because he wants one, and always wants a red M and M! I've been telling him lately, he can have two for a poop. We're still in Pull Ups and have been since Feb. Not a ton of progress on this end, but occasionally success on the potty. How old is your son?

Michelle said...

My son is 2 1/2. Hes ped said to wait until 3 to even start training. I thought that was a little late...lol. So, I'm starting now but if it doesn't happen by Oct, his Bday month, then I won't be to upset.

Lisa said...

I'm not above bribing, if it's required. Most people wouldn't go to work for free, right? We go to work for a paycheck. That's technically sort of like bribery too, isn't it? (Except it sounds nicer if you call it external motivation.) Potty training is hard work. Whatever works... ;)

(Says the lady who's been in some stage of potty training for about 3 years...)

'Becca said...

We had fabulous luck with a sticker chart! It was like the magic key to getting him to understand that using the potty was under HIS control. Here are the details and my other toilet-training tips. Good luck!!

3 Otters said...

Toys have a great influence on kid's behavior. So, it is must to choose the toys that encourages child development.

Post a Comment